Students may earn a Board of Education Diploma Seal for Excellence in Civics Education
to be affixed to their high school diploma by fulfilling each of the following four criteria:
1) Satisfy the requirement to earn a Standard Diploma or an Advanced
Studies Diploma; AND
2) Complete Virginia and United States History and Virginia and United
States Government courses with a grade of “B” or higher; AND
3) Complete 50 hours of voluntary participation in community service or extracurricular activities. Activities that would count include:
- a) Volunteering for a charitable or religious organization that provides services to the poor, sick or less fortunate;
- b) Participating in Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts or similar youth organizations;
- c) Participating in JROTC;
- d) Participating in political campaigns or government internships, or Boys State, Girls State, or Model General Assembly;
- e) Participating in school-sponsored extracurricular activities that have a civics focus.
Any student who enlists in the United States military prior to graduation will be deemed to have met this community service requirement.
4) Have good attendance and no disciplinary infractions as determined by local school board policies.