Birth of a Nation
The Constitution of the United States
- Computers with Internet access
- “A Roadmap to the United States Constitution” worksheet (Attachment A)
- Explain to students that the Articles of Confederation were inadequate to define the government of the new country. Remind students of the many weaknesses of the Articles of Confederation. Explain that the central issue in creating a new government was what powers to delegate to the central government versus what powers the states should retain
- Provide each student with a worksheet (Attachment A) that provides instructions for the scavenger hunt. The worksheet is divided into two parts: students may work in pairs to complete both parts, or they may work individually on one part.
- After students have completed the worksheet, have the class as a whole review the answers. Emphasize the tension that existed over the issue of creating a strong federal government versus retaining powers for the states.