American Heroes and Holidays
Pocahontas: A Friend and Helper
- A teacher-selected book about Pocahontas
- Computers with painting software or a painting station set up for the students
NOTE: The following Web resources may be helpful for information on Pocahontas:
- Begin by reading the teacher-selected book about Pocahontas. Remind students that Pocahontas lived in the past, before George Washington was President, and is no longer living today.
- Throughout the story, emphasize to students that Pocahontas was a helper and friend to the settlers of Jamestown, Virginia, especially Captain John Smith. Make it clear that Smith was not her husband.
- After discussing the story together, allow students time to paint two pictures: one of Pocahontas being a friend to the settlers, and one showing how the student is a good friend to others in the class. Proudly display the pictures.