American Heroes and Holidays
Let’s Make a Book
- One 12" x 18" piece of construction paper for each student
- One teacher-selected black line master for each student of the following famous Americans: Betsy Ross, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Pocahontas (NOTE: Black line masters may be as simple or as detailed as you would like.)
This activity will take more than one day to complete. The teacher may decide to complete a little bit of this project at a time, highlighting famous Americans as appropriate in the curriculum or as opportunities arise during the school year. For example, the teacher may choose to complete the Martin Luther King, Jr. page when celebrating his birthday in January.
NOTE: The following Web resources may be helpful for locating information related to this session:
- Direct students to create a book cover by folding the construction paper in half. Students should decorate their covers with American symbols. Have students add the title Famous Americans and author’s name.
- Have students search the Web for pictures and other information about the famous Americans to be represented in their book (See Web sites listed above).
- As appropriate, give students black line masters of famous Americans, such as Betsy Ross, Abraham Lincoln, and Martin Luther King, Jr. Students should neatly color and add each page to their book.
- Upon completion, students should share books with family members.