Citizenship: Home, School, and Community
Rules at Home
- Chart paper and markers
- Pencils and crayons
- Pictures of houses and neighborhoods
NOTE: The following Web resource may be helpful:
“How Can We Help Children Learn to Be Responsible Citizens?”
- Read a teacher-selected book about families, and discuss the different roles of family members. As you read the book aloud, discuss the families in the book.
- Encourage students to consider the different roles of members in their family and to share some of their families’ rules. As the students discuss the rules at home, solicit what happens when rules are followed.
- Post similar family rules that students share, and then group them together in categories.
- Ask students to share the consequences when rules are not followed at home.
- Have each student illustrate one of the rules at home, and create a class book of “Rules at Home.”
- Read additional teacher-selected stories about following rules at home.