National Government: The Legislative Branch
Sessions 6 and 7: Making Laws
- Sample flow chart for students to use as a guide
- Internet access
- Review with students the content covered to this point in the unit.
- Divide students into groups and instruct them to develop a flow chart of the process followed by the United States Senate and House of Representatives when making a law. The following Web site may be of assistance: <http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amlaw/lwhbsb.html>
- If possible, arrange for students to view portions of C-SPAN and then write a one-page review of the process observed. The paper should detail the bill(s) that were discussed and the process that was followed (debate, voting, etc.).
- Instruct students to conduct out-of-class research to identify the bills Congress is currently debating and the issues they involve. The following Web site may be of assistance: <http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amlaw/lwhbsb.html >