National Government: The Legislative Branch
Session 10: Sample Assessment Items
Asterisk (*) indicates correct answer.
1. The House of Representatives has
A. 535 members
B. 235 members
C. 400 members
D. 435 members*
2. The United States Senate has
A. 150 members
B. 100 members*
C. 120 members
D. 50 members
3. Which of the following powers is expressly granted to Congress in the United States Constitution?
A. Coin money*
B. Enforce laws
C. Organize schools
D. Establish marriage laws
4. The legislative branch checks the executive branch by
A. appointing the Vice-President.
B. approving treaties.*
C. nominating cabinet members.
D. electing the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.
5. The legislative branch checks the judicial branch by
A. establishing a term limit for Supreme Court Justices.
B. nominating federal judges.
C. impeaching justices who break the law.*
D. conducting an annual review of Supreme Court decisions.