Citizenship: Duties, Rights, and Liberties
Session 5: Civic Responsibilities
- Introduce civic responsibilities by explaining the meaning of each.
- Explain that civic responsibilities are fulfilled by choice; they are voluntary.
- Some responsibilities of citizens are as follows:
• Register and vote.
• Hold elective office.
• Influence government by communicating with government officials.
• Serve in voluntary, appointed positions.
• Participate in political campaigns.
• Keep informed regarding current issues.
• Respect others' rights to an equal voice in government.
- Use the last 15 minutes of class for a brief writing activity (an essay consisting of a paragraph or two). Have students answer the following questions: “Which of the responsibilities listed above is the most important? Why do you think it is?”