Elections, Parties, and Pressure Groups
Session 3: Creating a Political Party
- Political Process Vocabulary List (Attachment A)
- Poster board
- Write the day's vocabulary words on an overhead or on the board (see Attachment A). Briefly discuss their meanings.
- Allow students to meet in groups and complete the assignment to create a political party. Be sure that students include
• a name
• a symbol
• five to seven issues the group can come to a consensus on.
Each group will need to write the name of its party, draw the party symbol and platform on a poster, and report to the class.
- Ask each group to display its poster and list its platform issues.
- Ask students to describe in two or three sentences the process of compromise their group used to come up with their issues.