Our Federal System of Government
Session 32: Judicial Review
- Display the “Anticipation Guide — Judicial Review” transparency (Attachment T). Instruct students to take out a sheet of paper and indicate whether the questions listed on the anticipation guide are true or false. Do not give students the correct answers. Ask them to turn their papers over on their desks until they have completed the rest of the lesson.
- Explain that judicial review is one of the most important functions of the Supreme Court. However, it is not written into the Constitution. How did the Court get this power?
- Ask students to read the handout titled “Judicial Review” (Attachment U).
- Allow students to turn the anticipation guide over and change any answers they think are incorrect.
- Lead a class discussion on the handout and judicial review.