Foundations of American Government
Session 5: Articles of Confederation
- Transparency: “Distribution of Power in a Confederation” (Attachment E)
- Display the transparency “Distribution of Power in a Confederation” (Attachment E). Explain that in a confederate form of government, the state governments give the national government only the powers to handle matters they cannot manage individually, such as writing treaties.
- Explain why the colonists would select this type of government after the Revolutionary War.
- Have students form a simple chart by dividing a notebook page vertically. Across the top, have them write "The Articles of Confederation" and the date it was written. Have them label the left side of the page "Accomplishments" and the right side, "Weaknesses."
- Ask students to complete the two-column note format in class or for homework. (These notes will be used for a writing assignment in Session 9.)