Contributions of Citizens Who Defended American Principles
Days to Remember: Veterans Day
- Teacher-selected book about Veterans Day
- Art supplies to make Veterans Day cards
- Pictures of men and women in military uniforms
- Review the term national holiday. Explain that national holidays are designated by our government (Congress) to honor events and people of national significance. Using a calendar, go through each month, and identify the national holidays.
- Show pictures of men and women dressed in military uniforms, and ask students if they know what these men and women do. Explain that these men and women are part of our armed forces and they help protect our country. Tell students that there are two national holidays voted on by Congress that honor service men and women. Veterans Day honors those who have served in the military, and Memorial Day honors those who have died in wars.
- Read teacher-selected book about Veterans Day. Note that Veterans Day is on November 11. Visit the following Web site with students: <http://www1.va.gov/opa/vetsday/>.
- Have students make thank you cards to veterans for their contributions in protecting our country. These may be mailed or taken to a veteran’s hospital.