Contributions of Citizens Who
Defended American Principles
Contributions of Thomas Jefferson
- Teacher-selected book about Thomas Jefferson
- Pictures of Thomas Jefferson
- Show students pictures of Thomas Jefferson. Ask students what they know about Thomas Jefferson. Write their responses on a KWL chart about Thomas Jefferson under “What We Know.” Graphic organizer Web sites:
- Read a teacher-selected book about Thomas Jefferson. Lead a classroom discussion about Thomas Jefferson with information from “A Day in the Life of Thomas Jefferson” at <http://www.monticello.org/>.
- Fill in the What We Learned section of the KWL chart. Emphasize the following information:
• Thomas Jefferson was born in Virginia.
• He was the third President of the United States.
• Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, which states that people have certain rights.
• He was a leader who helped develop the country.
- Have students draw a picture of Thomas Jefferson and write one important fact about him under the picture. Save this page to make a Famous Americans booklet.
- Share primary source documents from books and Web sites about the writings of Thomas Jefferson.
- Create a timeline on Thomas Jefferson’s life. The following Web sites may be helpful:
• Thomas Jefferson. U.S. Presidents United in Service <http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/tj3.html>
• Meet Amazing American Thomas Jefferson