Famous Americans and Their Contributions
Contributions of Jackie Robinson
- Teacher-selected book about Jackie Robinson
- Show students a picture or poster of Jackie Robinson. Ask students what they already know about him. Write their responses on a KWL chart about Jackie Robinson. The following Web sites may be helpful:
• A collection of graphic organizers to be used in the unit <http://www.eduplace.com/graphicorganizer/>
- Ask the students what they would like to learn about Jackie Robinson, and post their responses under the “What We Want to Know” section of the KWL chart.
- Read a teacher-selected book about Jackie Robinson, and follow with a discussion. Have students use a variety of graphic organizers to arrange information from the book. Follow with another class discussion about Jackie Robinson.
- Add information with students to the KWL chart on “What We Learned.” Be sure to include the following:
• Jackie Robinson was the first African American player in major league baseball.
• Jackie Robinson’s actions helped to bring about other opportunities for African Americans.
- Help students research additional information about Jackie Robinson using resource materials/Web sites/videos.
- Discuss the quote by Jackie Robinson, “I never had it easy.” Ask the students why they think Jackie Robinson made this statement.
- Complete the “What We Learned” section of the KWL chart with students.