Communities in Virginia
Coming to America
- Pictures, posters, or drawings of Americans representing various cultural backgrounds
- A book related to immigration or moving to a new country
- Present pictures of Americans. Pictures presented should represent all ethnic cultures living in America, such as Asian, Middle Eastern, African American, American Indian (First American). Use resources such as magazines, newspapers, and catalogs to find these pictures. Review the words alike and different.
- Read a book to students related to the topic of immigration to the United States. Discuss the character(s) in the book. Review the key words alike and different. How is the United States different from the country the immigrants were in? How is it alike?
- Ask students to think of reasons people might choose to come to America. Generate a class list of responses. Mention the Pledge of Allegiance in relation to discussion, and direct attention to key words such as liberty, justice, and freedom.
- Discuss “invitations.” Ask students for examples of when people send invitations. Tell students they will create an “invitation” to America.